The Heart Centre of Excellence at Al Jalila Children’s is the only facility in Dubai that provides a wide range of diagnostic and treatment options in cardiology and cardiac surgery for children. Our world-class infrastructure and highly skilled staff make the Centre one of the best in the Middle East. A dynamic team of highly accomplished paediatric cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, cardiac anaesthetists and intensivists can provide the latest and the best possible treatment for all kinds of heart diseases in children across all age groups.
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
There are ten dedicated CICU beds with individual rooms and 1:1 nurse to patient ratio. We have an expert team of paediatric cardiac intensivists that take care of children of all age groups before and after surgery. They are available round-the-clock and are supported by a dedicated team of physiotherapists and respiratory therapists in the CICU who are trained in rehabilitation of children after the treatment of their heart condition. The CICU is strategically located and is directly accessible from Cardiac Operation Suites. The unit has facilities for advanced ventilatory modes including Neurally Adjusted Ventilatory Assist (NAVA), High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV) along with nitric oxide delivery systems. We have one of the most advanced facilities for providing both short and long-term mechanical circulatory support (Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation) for children with failing heart not responsive to conventional treatment.
Our paediatric cardiology outpatient clinic has tools to evaluate various rhythm disturbances of the heart that are frequent in children. One of them is the Holter test that provides continuous recording of the cardiac electrical activity (ECG) over a period of time even when the child is at home and engaged in routine activities. It helps in identifying fast or slow heart beats that can be pathological and should be treated.
Most of the diagnoses, treatment plans and follow-up of heart diseases in children can be made by echocardiography which is an ultrasound scanning of the heart. The Heart Centre has some of the most modern equipment and skilled cardiologists to conduct echocardiograms even during fetal life (in utero), in addition to preterm babies, infants, children, and adolescents.
Cardiac Catheterization Suite
Al Jalila Children’s has ultra-modern catheterization suites with capacity to perform hundreds of procedures annually. A major proportion of these are “therapeutic” interventions where the cardiac conditions are treated without the child having to undergo surgery.
Cardiac Operation Suites
We have two fully equipped, state-of-the-art operation rooms with facilities and tools for performing all types of cardiac repairs in paediatric patients of all ages (neonate to young adult) and with cardiac problems of any degree or complexity.
Our heart specialty ward has 16 beds, including four high dependency care rooms for children that may need isolation (such as for an infection) or special nursing care. They are all tastefully designed and furnished with the objective of making the child comfortable and reassured. All beds have equipment to monitor heart rhythm, oxygen levels and breathing and are all enabled with SMART technology, including electronic medical records facility.
What makes us different?
- Al Jalila Children’s Heart Centre of Excellence is the only established paediatric cardiac facility in Dubai and the Northern Emirates.
- Al Jalila Children’s has handpicked an exclusive team of experts with vast experience from some of the best hospitals in the world to be part of the Heart Centre of Excellence.
- Our team of experts has had years of experience treating many thousands of patients from newborns to adults with congenital heart disease during their prolific careers.
- Our paediatric cardiac anesthesiologists employ the most advanced methods of anaesthesia and fast track protocols thereby drastically minimising the duration of stay in the hospital.
- Our paediatric cardiologists are also routinely invited to global conferences during which they conduct live demonstrations of cardiac interventional procedures for the treatment of congenital heart disease.
- The Heart Centre of Excellence enjoys the uniqueness of being part of a full-fledged world-class hospital where every patient is assessed by a multidisciplinary and highly experienced paediatric consulting team that offers a 360-degree evaluation and treatment under one roof, resulting in a definitive and clear medical solution.