The Department of Paediatric Surgery at Al Jalila Children’s provides general and specialised surgical services to infants, children, and adolescents suffering from a wide range of congenital and acquired conditions including hernias, hydroceles, undescended testes as well as cysts and tumors of the head and neck. The department strives to provide premier clinical care to children in both outpatient and inpatient settings and performs a wide variety of surgical procedures such as:
- Neonatal surgery for conditions such as congenital diaphragmatic hernia and gastroschisis (a birth defect hole in the abdominal wall)
- Emergency procedures for appendix removal, pyloromyotomy for correction of torsion of the testis
- Common elective procedures such as circumcision, correction of undescended testis, repair of umbilical, hernia, and hydrocoele
- Abdominal and thoracic surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery – this relatively new approach allows your child to recuperate faster and with less pain. Not all conditions are suitable for minimally invasive surgery. Some surgical techniques that are considered minimally invasive include arthroscopy, bronchoscopy, and gastroscopy.