Child and Adolescent Mental Health Centre of Excellence
The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Centre of Excellence at Al Jalila Children’s is the first of its kind in the region. Our highly specialised multidisciplinary centre is dedicated to providing comprehensive assessment and management of a wide variety of mental health issues in children and adolescents, in addition to providing support to their families. The Mental Health Centre of Excellence spearheads and supports advanced inter-departmental research, training, and teaching for future mental health professionals from different backgrounds.
Through its highly skilled and experienced professionals, it offers specialised evidence based assessment, diagnoses, management, and treatment of a spectrum of mental disorders for children and adolescents between the ages of 0-18 years. The Centre also aims to set the benchmark for research and education in the region with the objective of pushing the boundaries of mental health treatments and intervention procedures, leading the way to better public awareness and knowledge of how to deal with mental illness in children and teenagers.
The Centre provides a variety of services that includes:
• Comprehensive Assessment
• Multi-Modal Treatment
• Therapy and Counselling
• Crisis Intervention
In line with Al Jalila Children’s vision to gain recognition as one of the top ten children’s hospitals in the world, the Mental Health Centre endeavours to gain standing in the regional healthcare sphere with an innovative and dynamic team at the leading edge of development and innovation in paediatric neurosciences and mental health care.
Clinical Scope and Services
• Outpatient mental health
• Autism spectrum and neurodevelopmental disorders
• Mental health consultations for medically ill patients
• Dual diagnosis and complex care
• ADHD and learning disorder
• Tic Disorders
• Early Onset Psychosis
• Mood Disorder
• Anxiety and OCD
• Eating Disorder
• Neuropsychology lab
o Sleep Psychology
• Psychotherapy Services:
o Play therapy
o Cognitive behavioural therapy consultation
o Psychodynamic therapy consultation
o Group and family therapy consultation
o Psychoeducation groups
o Parent support groups
o Social skills groups
• Mental health day programme
• Collaborative mental health services
• Liaison with community based institutes
What makes us different?
• As a dedicated Centre within a paediatric hospital, the Mental Health Centre of Excellence caters to the mental health needs of children with chronic physical health conditions while being treated at Al Jalila Children’s.
• The Centre acts as a leader in setting guidelines for issues facing the community when dealing with children and adolescents with mental health needs.
• The Centre differentiates itself through its unique child-friendly approach – from the tools and equipment to the overall environment – in addition to its ability to cater to adolescent mental health through the integration and collaboration with the patients’ families, departments of the hospital and various educational and medical agencies within the UAE.
• The Centre is also a credible and transparent point of reference for families that are looking for a decisive and solid answer for their child’s illness.
• The team promotes and implements interdisciplinary and inter-professional activities and services that were not previously available in the region.
• We also provide a first of its kind intensive multi-disciplinary day-programme mental health services.